Friday, July 17, 2009

Every Quilt Tells a Story...

Although quilting throughout the world is a universal art form, Hawaiian quilts are unique in their design, reflective of family history, symbols of the past, legends, and beautiful surroundings. Before fabric was introduced to the Hawaiian Islands, women prepared tapa cloth by pounding on the bark of the wauke tree. Gathering to work, they would share ideas, and learn from one another in the same way quilters join together in quilting circles today. These women would stamp designs and symbols of old Hawai’i onto the tapa clothing. When the missionaries first arrived on the shores around 1820, they brought with them different types of cloth and proceeded to teach the Hawaiian women to make clothing and patchwork blankets. However the task of piecing became tedious and the Hawaiians chose to adapt the quilting to their own individualized style, thereby effectively preserving their heritage, culture, and historical legends.

Today, the legacy and preservation of Hawaiian quilting continues in the capable hands of master quilters who are well versed in old style and tradition. Inspiring quilters worldwide, they teach the techniques of appliqué and quilting, as well as share the history and symbolism interwoven within the design. Each Hawaiian quilt tells a story, conveying special meaning, desires, or representation of beliefs. It takes thousands of stitches to create Hawaiian quilt, therefore to receive a Hawaiian quilt from someone is to know that you are truly loved.

Ever since I can remember, I have always held an affinity for quilting. The intricate arrangement of the fabrics, the complexity of techniques, and the interesting history of quilting held a fascination that propelled me to challenge myself to learn this alluring art form. When I began quilting at 17, my first attempt was a simple multicolored patchwork quilt, created using 4x4 squares. Despite the fact that the lines did not meet exactly, and the sewing was marginal at best, this quilt wove a story in the variety of fabrics I chose from my mother’s scrap bag and from my own sewing. It told of brightly colored blouses and petal pushers (capris) that my sisters and I had worn in the summer heat, of trendy dresses that were the latest wrinkle, and of the stylish prom gowns I had sewn for myself. Although I had no way of knowing, this quilt turned out to be a time capsule of sorts, capturing the composition of colors, textures, and styles of that particular period in time. Thirty-five years have passed and the once vibrant colors have faded, but the patterns woven into the fabric still chronicle the days of my childhood through teenage years, marking both significant events and the passage of time.

It is with heartfelt desire that I embark on one of my greatest challenges - the making of a wedding ring quilt for my daughter, Sarah. This quilt, like the Hawaiian quilt, will tell the story of memorable events from her own childhood, reflecting family holidays, plays, and school days. From the time that I knew Sarah would be arriving, I had planned this quilt, carefully saving and documenting fabric scraps from everything I had sewn for her through the years; from her christening outfit, kindergarten first-day-of-school dress, holiday dresses, costumes for plays and Halloween, to blankets, and stuffed animals. These bits of fabric will be lovingly sewn into this quilt to create her story, the one that Sarah will someday share with her own children, and know that she was and is truly loved.


*The information about Hawaiian Quilting was taken from the following resources:

Serrao, P., Serrao J., Correia, R., Serrao, C. (2007). The Hawaiian quilt: the tradition continues. Honolulu, HI: Mutual Publishing.

Serrao, P., Serrao, J. (1999). Poakalani Hawaiian quilt cushion patterns and designs: volume 1. Honolulu, HI: Mutual Publishing.

9 comments:

  1. Lynne,

    Thank you for sharing such factual information about quilting. I never knew how Hawaiian quilting began, but it was interesting to learn about the history of the art form. I also love your idea about the quilt for your daughter. She will cherish that gift forever. There will be so many memories for both of you associated with the quilt. Will you be able to post a photo of it when you are done? I would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I'm sure that it will take me most of the upcoming year to finish this quilt, but yes, I will definitely either post a photo or send you an email with an attachment. Thank you so much for your interest!
    Although I know it will be a tremendous amount of work, I'm very excited about this quilt. I'd love to hand quilt it, if I can finish the piecing in time. I have a quilting frame that was given to me by my husband's family that had been used by his great-great grandmother and great grandmother. What an honor it would be for me to quilt Sarah's wedding ring on that frame!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynne,
    I admire you for the amount of work you will put forth to share this gift with your daughter for her wedding. Thank you for also sharing the factual information of Hawaiian quilting. I remember my grandmother spending hours working on our own family quilts. As grandchildren, we all fought for the patchwork quilted blankets our grandma sewed by hand using scraps of material. Your post triggered such wonderful memories for me. Now that grandma is no longer with us, I wonder what happened to all those quilts??? I might have to look into this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila, I really hope that you are able to locate the quilts your beloved grandmother made, they are such a lasting tribute to her, especially because she sewed them all by hand! Such family heirlooms need to be passed from generation to generation to tell the story of the family heritage.

    I think the Hawaiian quilts are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen. They are so detailed and intricate, the expert workmanship is absolutely incredible. I truly enjoyed investigating the history behind the quilts and their interesting background stories. I would love stay in Hawaii long enough to learn from one of the master quilters, such as Poakalani. That would be the ultimate quilting experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynne-
    The quilt that you made for yourself when you were a teenager sounds fantastic. I know my mom has very little from her childhood and only a few pictures. She has been very great about keeping things for us and a few years ago gave me a scrapbook of my childhood that she had worked on. It meant so much more for her to pick out the pictures and create the pages than if I had done it myself. I am sure that your daughter will love the quilt that you are planning for her. Any gift that someone puts that much work into is definitely special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be quite honest, Sara, when I look at the workmanship on the patchwork quilt I made as a teen I shudder! However, because it was my first and because the fabrics hold so many wonderful memories, I can put it all into the right perspective.

    The scrapbook your mom made must be very precious to you! I would imagine that she experienced great joy in selecting the photos she wanted to include in creating your book of your childhood memories. This collection of photographs is a true gift of the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynne-

    I was not aware of the history of Hawaiian quilts! It was interesting to read the account of how "modern" Hawaiian quilts are made.

    I can only assume how important one must feel after receiving one of these quilts. When my son was born, a relative of ours made him a quilt and sewed his name and birth date into one of the patches. It is presently wrapped up in one of his dresser drawers so when he gets older and can understand its meaning, we can give it to him as a keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bruce, your son will someday understand how special his personalized quilt is, especially because it was made with loving care by a family member. It truly is a wonderful keepsake for him, one that he can pass down to his own children one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have enjoyed reading your detailed account of your interest in quilts and the crafting of your own creations. In the tradition of the utilitarin quilt, you lovingly selected and incorporated pieces on hand and that had special meaning. I am also a quilter and I sense your dedication and love for this wonderful craft.

    ReplyDelete