On this journey through life everyone, regardless of who they are, where they are from, or what they do, will be faced with decisions that will tug at their heartstrings. These soul-searching resolutions are not to be taken lightly, for they are life altering. Every aspect must be considered and accounted for, the pros and cons carefully weighed. In the end, a final verdict must be reached, one that wants for nothing other than to attempt to satisfy the needs and desires of all parties involved.
Having lived all my life in New England, almost all of it in New Hampshire seacoast area, I could not have imagined ever living anywhere else. What New England has to offer in immeasurable; from the miles of rocky Atlantic coastline, weathered mountains, scenic lakes, rolling hills and valleys, to the four distinct seasons, each astoundingly beautiful in its own right. Nothing can match our picturesque seaside villages or charming mountain towns that preserve and detail almost 400 years of history. New Englanders are said to be a proud people; determined, strong-willed, and hard working. When faced with adversity, they prove to be resourceful in finding solutions. Family units are generally close-knit and highly valued. Although family members may not always see eye-to-eye, they are always and forever there for each other.
Generations of my husband’s and my families have lived here in New England since the 1600’s. They weren’t the first off the Mayflower, but they were pretty close. With this cultural heritage behind us, many of our relatives still live in the area, having not traveled far from where our ancestors settled so many years ago. For us, New England has always been the place we’ve called ‘home’.
When our daughters made the decision to go to college in Boulder, Colorado, we embraced the idea, as our desire to see them investigate the world beyond the borders of their New Hampshire home far surpassed our need to have them close by. As each experienced life in the west, they pushed the boundaries even further than the Rockies. Suzanne spent a semester abroad in Samoa and spring breaks in California, while Sarah, after falling in love with Greg, enjoyed summer vacations with his family in Hawaii. Now they have chosen to live in California and Hawaii, respectively, and we are still abiding here in our beloved New England.
Leaving Honolulu after this, my third visit to Hawaii, I felt the pangs of sadness at leaving Sarah, Greg, and his family behind. Feeling somewhat surprised, I also discovered that I had developed a deep affection for my daughter’s adopted home, definitely comparable to the love I have for my native New England. I am captivated by the strikingly diverse landscape at every turn, and the cobalt blue ocean and shimmering beaches offer absolute perfection. I love the history, the music, the art, the culture, and most of all the people who live there. Hawaii is not unlike New England in many of the aspects I hold dear and this is, perhaps, why I am drawn under its spell, having become enchanted with its inner beauty.
So the question ultimately becomes, where do I belong? I know this query is faced by many a parent whose children have moved away. As our children establish their own homes and families, the definition of home changes for them…and for us. Their home is no longer the family homestead they knew as children; instead, it will become the place where they will nurture their own children as they grow.
With our own parents and extended family on the East Coast, and our daughters beginning their lives on the West Coast, therein lies the conflict: the strong sense of duty to our families, our jobs, and our long-established roots versus transplanting ourselves to a new environment in which our primary family is the focus.
Considering the eventuality of both daughters living on the Pacific Rim, my husband and I have resigned ourselves to the prospect of three possibilities: 1.) Living here in New England and dropping in for the occasional visit, 2.) Moving west for six months out of the year, or 3.) Uprooting and heading west permanently. Option number one only works until we have grandchildren, and then that, of course, changes everything. Option number three is a consideration, however I don’t believe either one of us can let go of our ties to New England for years on end. We have too much invested emotionally to leave it entirely… at least not right away. At this juncture, option number 2 appears to be the optimum choice, as it gives us the best of both worlds without having to give up on either.
Life changes can create chaos, but from the turmoil comes the contentment of knowing that the final decision has been made for the right reasons and without reservation. Although the ultimate decision remains in the near future, it is one that is destined to run a wide spectrum of emotions.
Monday, July 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Lynne-
ReplyDeleteI can relate whole-heartedly to your feelings of "home". The Poconos region of northeastern PA have been my home all of my life. I've vacationed all over the United States but always love coming home.
It was a shock to everyone my wife and I knew when she and I decided to take jobs and move to Myrtle Beach, SC. For two years, we owned a house there, but it wasn't home. We made some great friends that even now we go back and visit. My in-laws bought a house in Bluffton (about 3 hours south of Myrtle Beach) and we go and visit them often. For us however, it could never be home.
Like you said, having four distinct seasons is of great value to us. Raising our son where we grew up and sending him to the same high school we went to is of great importance as well.
We still have our ties to SC and will never forget the friendships we have made there, but to us, it can never ever be called "home".
Lynne,
ReplyDeleteI know partially how you feel, but from the child's point of view (maybe what your daughter is going through or may have ever gone through even though I am assuming she is staying in Hawaii and not considering moving home).
I grew up in Connecticut, but I attended college in Tampa to experience something new. It was very hard being away from my family, but I made friends and was home for a month in the winter and 4 months in the summer. It really was a good balance of being in a new place and being able to come home.
I graduated, moved back to CT, and when I had trouble finding a teaching job I moved right back to FL since I was offered a position there and was able to be with my boyfriend at the time (3 years later....in June of 2009, we got married).
I'm 25 and have been in FL teaching ever since 2006. Although I have a job, love living an hour from Orlando, and am with my husband and his family, I still feel that I am missing out on my 2 highschool-age brothers growing up. I have also been away from my 25 close family members (aunts, uncles, cousins)...and even a lot more extended family.
My husband and I decided that we will plan to go up to CT in a year. Neither one of us can picture living in FL or CT full time because one of us will always be away from our family no matter where we live. We still wonder...what if we have trouble finding jobs in CT?...what if it's too cold up there for us? But then, I know that someday when we decide to have kids, I want to be around my mom. I already planned a wedding long distance over the past two years being in FL while my mom was in CT, and it would be nice to experience the next big moment in my life with her.
My husband and I realize that if we decided to go to CT in a year we might even have to change our jobs if we can't find a job in our field. What we have talked about for the past 2 years is that we would love to live 6 months in each place (somehow owning 2 houses, or owning one and renting another). That would suit us best so we could be with both of our families and enjoy what CT and FL have to offer. But, is that even realistic? We don't know.
My attitude toward going to college in Florida was that 'if I don't like it, I can always come back'. The same goes for you. If you do move west, nothing is ever permanent. Try it for 6 months or a year and see how it goes. You might regret it if you don't try, and you will never know how it is until then.
I, possibly as well as you, worry about making the wrong decision. Should we move close to one family and away from another? We don't know. In my case, we wanted to be married for a year, build our relationship, and then make the move. As for you, I can only offer suggestions. Maybe continue with your job this year and continue talking to your daughter on the phone or by web cam. Look at real estate online and maybe even call an agent in Hawaii to discuss options. Enjoy your family in NH this year just in case you do move. No matter what you decide to do, a visit is only a flight away. If you are thinking about moving to Hawaii permanently, you can look into certification requirements and schools in the area. If you move there for half of the year and are planning on working, think of a job you can obtain in Hawaii or do on the computer. Maybe you can tutor for part of their school year.
You had a lot of memories with the wedding, and now you can look forward to seeing the pictures and talking to family about how great it was. It's always hard to come back home because you miss what you just left. I had my wedding in Connecticut, and just got back to FL not too long ago. It's always so hard to get back in a routine.
You seem like a great mom, and I know your daughters are blessed to have you. No matter where you end up, you will still have your family on both sides of the country, supporting you every step of the way.
Lynne-
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your thoughts about your family being separated and the decisions that you have to make. Both my sister and I are married to men in the navy and have moved away from Maine where all of our family lives. Our mother has been through a lot in the past few years without us being close by and is beginning to talk about what her future will hold. Making the decision about where to spend your time cannot be easy, but being away from your daughters must be difficult too. I am sure that your daughters will be happy with whatever decision that you and your husband make.
Bruce, Don't you find that many couples have a tendency to return to their roots when they start their own families? It's difficult if they are from different places, and then have to make a choice of where they want to be. I guess the most important thing is having a place that you really can call 'home'.
ReplyDeleteKim, thank you so very much for all of your wonderful suggestions and ideas. You don't know how helpful it was to hear your perspective - you are the same age as my daughter, Sarah, so I'm sure you would be thinking along the same lines. Like you, she misses the extended family we have here in NH and finds it difficult to be so far away when family events and holidays take place.
ReplyDeleteYou made a great point in stating that we can always move home if we find that it isn't what we thought it was. I think our fear lies in the fact that we've been in this area all of our lives and to think about changing that is quite daunting, to say the least. It's like walking out on a limb in many aspects.
I know that your mom and I are in the same place, and it's just different for us. After having so many years of family to care for, now we need to figure out what and where we want to be. We want to make sure that we take advantage of all of the opportunities afforded us. The world is our oyster!
Sara, You are quite right, my daughters will be just fine with wherever we end up. I believe I think about it way more than they do - as it should be. It won't be an easy decision, but it will be alright in the end. Thank you for your thoughts, they are very much appreciated!
ReplyDeleteMy husband and I are facing similar issues. We, too are New Englanders and every teaching job we took over the last 30 years has taken us farther and farther away from family and friends. We would very much like to move back to New England, yet if our just-out-of-coolege kids should marry and have children will we want to move closer to where they are? You have written well about the changing notion of making a home somewhere for a lifetime.
ReplyDeleteBetty, it really is a challenging time in our lives, isn't it? I thought that we were on the other side, having raised our children to be independent and leave the nest, and now we're in a quandry as to where we see ourselves winding up. I feel like we can't stay, but we also can't leave. It's definitely a pickle to find ourselves in at this point in our lives. I know that you and I are thinking the same thing about grandchildren, we don't want to be absentee grandparents. Also, do we want to hold onto our family home when our kids and their families will only visit maybe once a year at best? There are just so many things we need to sort through, and no easy answers. I'm hoping that we'll figure it out eventually, but for now we'll just sit tight until the dust settles.
ReplyDelete