Lanikai is a small community sandwiched between the towns of Kailua and Waimanalo on the eastern side of Oahu. It's quaint, but gorgeous homes with their manicured lawns and gardens reminded me of Rockport, MA. After taking a walk along the tree-lined streets we, Debbie, Suzanne, Marissa, and I, followed a tiny ally pathway that led us down to the beach, a lovely stretch of soft sand and sapphire blue waters. This was very obviously a family beach, as there were many young families with children just enjoying the morning sunshine and surf, and definitely the sort of beach you'd want to visit again.
Later on in the day after Sarah and Greg had finished work, we decided to take a ride down to Sandy Beach, not ten minutes from Debbie and Rick's home. Sandy's was quite a change from the quiet Lanikai shore line. Sandy Beach is reputed to have the most dangerous shore break on the island. The waves at Sandy's today were sloshing around like a giant washing machine and crashing onto the shore, warning flags and signs about the strong currents were posted along the beach. Swimming under these conditions was not high on the list, so we were content to just lie on the sands, enjoying the wild show the ocean was putting on.
Our last night in Hawaii was beautiful and balmy. After dinner we went out for a long boat ride around the marina at Hawaii Kai. Under the gaze of a full moon that sparkled across the water, we slowly made our way around the inlets and under the small bridges that connected the waterways. What an enjoyable way to spend our last evening together!
I find it extremely difficult to leave Hawaii. Not only do I leave my daughter behind but our soon-to-be extended family as well. Getting on the plane, I know that I won't be seeing Sarah for a few months, and although my rational side argues that living in Hawaii with Greg she's the happiest she's ever been, my emotional side rules because I know how much I will miss the face-to-face contact we have when I am here. What is even more difficult is not being able to share in the events that happen in her daily life, no matter how small or insignificant they may be. Watching her deal with the inner conflict of living away from her entire family has not been easy by any stretch, but knowing that if I am supportive of her, this helps both of us cope with the time away from each other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment