The flight coming home from Hawaii always seems much longer than the flight going, even though it is basically the same amount of time. Sometimes we catch a tail wind that pushes us along, but technically, it's the same number of hours to and from. The difficulty lies in the time change. Going to Hawaii, we pick up 6 hours and going home, we lose them.
I left Honolulu at 8:10 last evening and arrived in Boston at 2:08 this afternoon (or 8:08 Hawaii time). After precious little sleep during the overnight to Denver, I slogged my way through the airport to catch my connecting flight to Boston. When we boarded, I found myself striking up a conversation with the enchanting, lovely college student sitting beside me. Once we began talking, we discussed her aspirations to become an elementary school teacher, the classes she was taking at college, and the field of education in general. Come to find out, she was originally from Deerfield, NH and knew my principal, who also hailed from that tiny community. It truly is a small world, and the world became a little smaller when she introduced me to her dad, who was heading to New England to go on a canoe trip in upstate Maine with Jim, my principal. Apparently, they were the best of friends and had been for many years. I had a long conversation with Jeff that was filled with a lot of laughs over things he and Jim had done 'in the old days'. Turns out that when Jeff lived in Deerfield, there was a woman in his neighborhood who had been on my field hockey team in high school and her mom had been one of my teachers.
You never know who you are going to meet when you travel, and I believe there really is some truth to the theory of six degrees of separation!
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment