Friday, June 26, 2009

Aloha from Hawaii and New Hampshire!

Hello Everyone,

One cannot help but feel rejuvenated by warm sunshine and gentle Hawaiian breezes. After surviving the last week of school (complete with indoor recesses thanks to 4 days of rain), report cards, and the general mayhem that only a teacher can understand, I left New Hampshire at 5:00 AM to fly out of Boston's Logan Airport. The 11 hour flight took me to Denver and then on to Honolulu, landing at 3:00 PM Hawaii time, 9:00PM New Hampshire time. My daughter, Sarah, and her fiance, Greg greeted me at the airport. My younger daughter, Suzanne, also arrived on a different flight 3 hours later. We are staying for the next two weeks with Greg's family at their gorgeous home in Hawaii Kai, a beautiful community about 25 minutes out of Waikiki.

After breakfast, we took a long hike up into the hills in Hawaii Kai. Hiking in Hawaii is not unlike hiking in NH, however the hills lead to steep ridges that have drop-offs on both sides. Needless to say, wandering off the trail is not the best idea. When we reached the top, we had a spectacular panoramic view of the entire eastern part of Oahu, well worth the climb!

This afternoon Sarah, Debbie (Greg's mom), Suzanne, and I drove to Kualoa Ranch to check out the site where they are planning to have their wedding in July, 2010. It is truly an amazing spot, 40+ acres of rainforest, gardens, beach, and unbelievable views. Just what you'd picture for a Hawaiian wedding, it just took my breath away!

Tonight we are having a barbecue to celebrate - Sarah just received a contract for a first grade teaching position for next year at a school in Kailua! How exciting is that?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lynne!
    It is so funny that you are in Hawaii! I have been living here for two years now so I knew all of the places you wrote about! Is the hike you did called Mariner's Ridge in Hawaii Kai? Your description sounded like it was!

    I also loved your description of Kualoa Ranch. I have actually not been there yet, but my family is coming to visit next week and my older brother wanted to experience the movie tour on the ranch.

    Hawaii Kai is a a beautiful area. I'm sure they will take you to Hanauma Bay. There is great snorkeling there! Also, congratulations to your daughter! That is so exciting! Enjoy your time here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynne, Great read! Ever think of taking up book writting on the side?? I sent this to relatives and a few friends. They all agree with me on the quality of writing. I'm glad you are having a fun time filled with all sort's of interesting site's. Have a safe trip home.

    Glenn

    ReplyDelete